Meet Darren Soto
Darren Soto is an accomplished lawyer, legislator, environmentalist, and proud progressive representing the diverse, hardworking people of Central Florida in Congress.
After graduating college, Darren moved to Orlando with a plan to stand up for people in the courtroom (and play music on the side.)
Along the way, Darren joined the Young Democrats to meet like-minded progressives in the area. Before long, he was asked to consider running for the Florida House at age 28. He ran, he won, and ever since, he’s brought a sense of humility and service to the job – and the voters have taken notice.
While serving in the Florida Legislature for the past eight years, Darren worked to bring high-paying, high tech jobs to Central Florida; protect our clean air, land, and water; expand and protect health care; help families facing foreclosure; and improve education. Learn more about Darren’s accomplishments.
In Congress, Darren will:
- Push for more high-paying jobs for the district
- Protect Social Security and Medicare for our seniors
- Support the Affordable Care Act, which provides nearly 1.7 million Floridians with health care
- Ensure our soldiers are protected on the battlefield and when they return home
- Protect our environment and restore the Everglades and our Springs
- Work to pass comprehensive immigration reform
- Ensure equality for all Americans
- Protect women’s health care rights
- Push for equal treatment for Puerto Ricans and stop cuts to Medicare there
Darren is the first person of Puerto Rican descent to serve in Congress from Florida. His wife, Amanda, works as a math coach in the Orange County public schools.